This is our review of the best yeast free dog foods in 2023.
Most pet food brands use yeast in their recipes. This microorganism can act as a probiotic or source of nutrients in a dog food formula. But, yeast ingredients can also cause digestive upset in some dogs.
I’m a former vet tech who knows that eliminating yeast from your dog’s diet can be difficult.
So I researched the best yeast-free dog foods to help you choose the best food for your yeast-sensitive pup.
Canidae All Life Stages Multi-Protein Formula Dog Food is my top pick for the best dog food without yeast.
But every pup has different needs. So I’ve reviewed yeast-free dog foods in every major category.
Let’s get started!
Real U.S. farm-raised beef
Real meat, veggies & fruits
Fiber from brown rice
All Life Stages formula
Real whole food ingredients
Our Best Yeast Free Dog Food
- Canidae All Life Stages Multi-Protein Formula Dog Food (Best Overall Yeast Free Dog Food)
- Castor & Pollux Pristine Salmon Puppy Food (Best Yeast Free Dog Food for Puppies)
- I and Love and You Naked Essentials Dog Food (Best Yeast Free Dog Food for Seniors)
- Rachel Ray Nutrish Dish Beef & Rice Recipe Dog Food (Best Budget Yeast Free Dog Food)
- The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Dehydrated Dog Food (Best Premium Yeast Free Dog Food)
- Weruva Paw Lickin’ Chicken Canned Dog Food (Best Yeast Free Wet Dog Food)
- Nulo Freestyle Salmon & Red Lentils Small Breed Dog Food (Best Yeast Free Dog Food for Small Breeds)
- Canidae All Life Stages Large Breed Dog Food (Best Yeast Free Dog Food for Large Breeds)
- Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula Dog Food (Best Yeast Free Dog Food for Sensitivities)
- Brothers Complete Healthy Weight Control Dog Food (Best Yeast Free Dog Food for Weight Control)
10 Best Yeast Free Dog Foods Reviewed
All dog foods included on this list meet the standard AAFCO nutrient profile guidelines for dogs. Always consult with your veterinarian before making changes to your dog’s diet.
Canidae All Life Stages Multi-Protein Formula Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice
- Key Feature: Grain-inclusive dog food with multiple sources of premium animal protein
- Guaranteed Analysis: 24% Crude Protein, 14.5% Crude Fat, 4% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 468 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy
- Life Stage: All Life Stages
- Best For: Overall
This grain-inclusive formula combines meat meals from multiple sources to offer a 24% crude protein content. The moderate protein of this recipe makes it a suitable option for a variety of dogs.
The 14.5% fat content is also ideal for most breeds. Salmon and sunflower oil contribute sources of omega fatty acids. These healthy fats encourage natural skin oil production.
Instead of using yeast culture as a probiotic, this pet food includes 100 million CFU/lb of a Lactobacillus Acidophilus culture. Probiotics regulate your pup’s digestive system and help him absorb nutrients from his dog food.
This recipe also excludes corn, wheat, and soy. These common allergens sometimes cause adverse reactions in dogs with sensitive stomachs.
Additional vitamin and mineral supplementation ensures that this dog food meets the daily nutrient requirements of most pups. And premium ingredients like flaxseed, papaya, and alfalfa provide natural sources of antioxidants.
Owners of multiple dogs of different ages and sizes highly recommend this formula.
They found that this comprehensive dog food simplified feeding time at home. But this recipe may not be suitable for pups with special needs.
Castor & Pollux Pristine Salmon Puppy Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, Whitefish Meal, Organic Sweet Potatoes, Organic Peas, Organic Pea Protein
- Key Feature: Grain-free puppy food with organic ingredients
- Guaranteed Analysis: 28% Crude Protein, 14% Crude Fat, 4% Crude Fiber, 11% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 387 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Natural
- Life Stage: Growth
- Best For: Puppies
Proper nutrition is critical for puppies. But most puppy formulas include yeast.
This grain-free dog food features a recipe without yeast that is ideal for young pups. A high 28% protein content from salmon provides adequate amino acids to support muscle development in growing dogs.
DHA and EPA from salmon play a vital role in brain development. And glucosamine helps limit joint issues associated with rapid growth.
Puppies often have sensitive digestive systems. So this recipe does not use any common food intolerances that may upset young stomachs. It eliminates yeast, gluten, wheat, corn, and soy.
Many environmentally conscious pet parents prefer the Pristine Line from Castor and Pollux.
Natural ingredients include sustainably caught fish and organic produce that grew without chemical pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.
I and Love and You Naked Essentials Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Lamb, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Chickpeas, Peas
- Key Feature: Nutritional support for seniors with a probiotic and prebiotic blend
- Guaranteed Analysis: 30% Crude Protein, 15% Crude Fat, 4.5% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 361 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: Grain-Free, No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy
- Life Stage: Senior
- Best For: Seniors
This grain-free senior dog food provides nutritional support for aging joints, stomachs, and muscles. But this formula does not use yeast cultures for probiotics or nutrients.
A 30% protein content from lamb helps limit muscle loss in older pups. While the moderate fat and caloric content help prevent weight gain in sedentary seniors.
Beet pulp and other sources of fiber act as natural prebiotics. A probiotic blend that does not include any yeast helps support digestive health for sensitive older stomachs.
Natural sources of glucosamine help ease discomfort in arthritic joints. Omega-3 fatty acids from fish meals also help reduce inflammation.
High concentrations of calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals support healthy bones. This yeast-free recipe also depends on sodium selenite as a mineral selenium source instead of typical selenium yeast.
Senior dogs’ owners appreciate the low-glycemic ingredients and beneficial fiber content to keep their pets full without excess calories.
Rachel Ray Nutrish Dish Beef & Rice Recipe Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Beef, Chicken Meal, Dried Peas, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice
- Key Feature: Affordable formula with a simple yeast-free recipe
- Guaranteed Analysis: 26% Crude Protein, 14% Crude Fat, 4% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 353 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Gluten Free
- Life Stage: Adult
- Best For: Budget Yeast Free Dog Food
Unlike other budget dog food brands, this yeast-free recipe does not include any by-products, fillers, or artificial additives. Real beef is the first ingredient, offering a 26% crude content of high-quality protein.
14% crude fat comes from flaxseed and fish oil. These concentrated sources of essential fatty acids help support skin and coat health.
Other high-quality ingredients in this budget formula include several varieties of fruits and vegetables. Whole foods like carrots, apples, and peas help provide complete and balanced nutrition in a comprehensive dog food.
The grain-inclusive recipe features whole-grain ingredients that are excellent sources of digestible carbohydrates. Brown rice is also high in fiber, which helps nourish good gut bacteria.
Reviews recommend the dog food products in this line for picky pups. The beef and chicken meat used in this recipe have a smokey flavor that most dogs find appealing.
The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Dehydrated Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Dehydrated Chicken, Organic Barley, Dehydrated Potatoes, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Oats
- Key Feature: Dehydrated dog food with non-GMO ingredients
- Guaranteed Analysis: 24.5% Crude Protein, 14% Crude Fat, 4% Crude Fiber, 8% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 485 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Gluten Free
- Life Stage: Adult
- Best For: Premium Yeast Free Dog Food
This premium dehydrated formula offers the benefits of real homemade foods with the convenience of dry dog food. Owners only need to add water to the mixture to create an appealing, minimally processed meal.
Dehydrated chicken meat is the sole source of animal protein. A 24.5% crude protein content is suitable for most dogs. And the moderate 14% crude fat content provides energy without excess calories.
The recipe includes dehydrated fruits and vegetables. Chelated minerals complement nutrients provided by whole food ingredients to meet your dog’s daily dietary requirements.
This innovative pet food brand uses free-range chicken, organic produce, and whole grains. Added DHA and EPA provide benefits for brain, skin, and coat health.
Owners of picky dogs highly recommend using warm water with this pet food to feed even the fussiest pups successfully.
Although more convenient than fresh food, dehydrated recipes still involve more preparation than standard kibble.
Weruva Paw Lickin’ Chicken Canned Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, Water for Processing, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate
- Key Feature: Simple canned recipe based on high-quality protein
- Guaranteed Analysis: 10% Crude Protein, 1.4% Crude Fat, 0.5% Crude Fiber, 85% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 268 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Pea-Free, Non-GMO, No Corn, No Soy, No Wheat
- Life Stage: Adult
- Best For: Yeast Free Wet Dog Food
This wet dog food has a recipe based on the carnivorous diet of your dog’s ancestors. Boneless, skinless, white chicken breast is the primary ingredient.
All other ingredients fill the nutritional gaps of this animal protein to offer a simple but balanced diet.
The crude protein percentages for wet dog food can be misleading due to the high moisture content. A 10% crude protein in wet foods content is considered high protein.
Sunflower oil is the primary source of healthy fats. This ingredient is high in omega-6 fatty acids, but the 1.4% crude fat content is relatively low, even for wet formulas.
A recipe based on real meat in gravy is ideal for picky eaters. But it is also suitable for pups with food allergies. The formula features only three essential natural ingredients. It is grain-free, gluten-free, and pea-free.
Added vitamins and minerals allow this pet food to meet the standard daily nutrient profiles for dogs.
Owners are frequently impressed by the smell and appearance of this recipe. Unlike highly-processed canned foods, you can see the real shredded chicken pieces in your pup’s bowl.
Nulo Freestyle Salmon & Red Lentils Small Breed Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Turkey Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lamb Meal, Red Lentils
- Key Feature: High protein, high-fat formula for small dogs on yeast-free diets
- Guaranteed Analysis: 31% Crude Protein, 17% Crude Fat, 4.0% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 422 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, High-Protein, Low Glycemic
- Life Stage: Adult
- Best For: Yeast Free Dog Food for Small Breeds
This specialized recipe features a high 31% protein content ideal for the fast metabolism of tiny breeds. Calorie-dense meats like salmon, turkey and lamb, account for 84% of the total crude protein.
A high 17% fat content is also ideal for small dogs. Fat is your dog’s primary source of energy.
Pet foods that provide enough calorie density for fast metabolisms must have adequate levels of fat. These higher fat and protein percentages allow toy breeds to eat this grain-free diet safely.
Sweet potatoes and chickpeas replace grain-based ingredients as sources of digestible carbohydrates. Small dogs need consistent carbohydrates because they have a limited ability to store glycogen due to their small muscle mass.
Added L-Carnitine helps support healthy muscle mass and metabolism. And miscanthus grass acts as a nutrient-rich source of fiber.
Owners of small dogs appreciate the extra small kibble size. Tiny mouths often struggle to chew and swallow kibble with average-sized pieces.
Canidae All Life Stages Large Breed Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, Oatmeal, Millet
- Key Feature: Yeast-free dog food designed for large breeds
- Guaranteed Analysis: 23% Crude Protein, 13% Crude Fat, 5% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 376 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Chicken-Free
- Life Stage: All Life Stages
- Best For: Yeast Free Dog Food for Large Breeds
Larger dogs have slower metabolisms than toy breeds. The moderate 23% protein content of this formula provides adequate amounts of amino acids without excess calories.
The large mass of giant breeds places additional stress on your pup’s joints. A low calorie, low-fat diet helps reduce the risks of unwanted weight gain.
Canola oil and salmon oil are the primary sources of the 13% fat content. Omega-3 fatty acids from salmon oil help manage inflammation associated with common joint conditions in larger dogs.
This dog food also features a unique blend of probiotics and antioxidants to promote overall well being. Antioxidants protect tissue from oxidative damage. And probiotics play a critical role in preventing bloat in large breeds.
The large kibble size optimizes chewing in giant mouths, which is vital for optimal digestion. Most owners who fed this dog food noticed improvements in their pup’s skin and coat health.
Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, Sunflower OIl
- Key Feature: Limited ingredient formula with a single source of protein
- Guaranteed Analysis: 32% Crude Protein, 15% Crude Fat, 4% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 394 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: Grain-Fee, No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Low Glycemic, Limited Ingredient Diet, Gluten-Free, Chicken-Free, Natural
- Life Stage: Adult
- Best For: Yeast Free Dog Food for Sensitivities
If your dog is sensitive to yeast products, he may also have a problem with other common allergens. This limited ingredient diet helps avoid troublesome food items with a simple recipe.
Turkey is the single source of animal protein in this formula. A single protein source is critical for dogs with food allergies to prevent new reactions to other protein allergens.
A 32% high protein content is ideal for active dogs or breeds with large muscle mass. Turkey is a lean source of protein that is low in saturated fat.
It is also rich in selenium, so this dog food does not depend on added selenium yeast as a mineral source.
The recipe does not include some of the most common canine allergies like corn, wheat, soy, dairy, and chicken.
It is also grain-free and suitable for pups with gluten sensitivities. Peas and chickpeas provide fiber-rich, low-glycemic carbohydrates instead of grains.
Dog owners have experienced success improving body condition in dogs fed this yeast-free diet.
Brothers Complete Healthy Weight Control Dog Food
- First 5 Ingredients: Goat Meal, Whole Eggs Dried, Turkey Meal, Cassava/Tapioca, Peas
- Key Feature: Weight control formula based on goat meat with low-glycemic ingredients
- Guaranteed Analysis: 30% Crude Protein, 15% Crude Fat, 4% Crude Fiber, 10% Moisture
- Caloric Content: 400 kcal/cup
- Type of Product: Grain-Free, Weight Control, No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Low Glycemic, High-Protein, Non-GMO
- Life Stage: Adult
- Best For: Yeast Free Dog Food for Weight Control
This formula provides nutritional support for dogs struggling with weight issues. A 32% crude protein content from goat meal provides bioavailable amino acids for lean muscle development.
Organ meat ingredients like chicken liver offer concentrated sources of vitamins and minerals. This type of meat is exceptionally high in vitamin A, which helps protect your dog’s eye health.
Encapsulated probiotics help support a healthy gut. And digestive enzymes ensure that your dog can absorb the nutrients he needs in a smaller serving size.
This dog food does not include any processed grains or other high-glycemic foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, sugar, or lentils. This helps control caloric content and prevent troublesome skin conditions.
Most pet parents noticed weight loss in overweight pets who ate this diet for at least a month. And some reviews share that this formula even helped manage skin yeast infections.
Yeast Free Dog Food Buying Guide
Yeast serves several useful purposes in dog food. But learning when to avoid this ingredient and how to identify yeast on a dog food label can help keep your pup healthy.
Yeast In Dog Food
Yeast is a common ingredient in most popular dog food brands. This ingredient is a type of fungus.
Its full name is Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but you can find several different types of yeast ingredients in dog foods.
Dog foods often use yeast as a probiotic for digestive support. Yeast culture can be active or inactive, but both types support the good bacteria naturally found in your dog’s gut.
However, too much active yeast can cause gassiness.
Brewer’s yeast is a nutrient-rich by-product of the beer brewing industry. This deactivated yeast is an excellent source of B-vitamins and enzymes.
But by-products are generally considered lower quality ingredients in dog food.
This ingredient comes from the same strain of yeast as brewer’s yeast. It has a naturally sweet flavor from growing in molasses.
It provides similar benefits, yet most dogs prefer the taste of nutritional yeast. But, this ingredient may not be suitable for pups with sugar sensitivities.
Selenium yeast is a common source of selenium, an essential mineral in dog food. This mineral helps protect the body from oxidative stress.
Yeast-free dog food uses sodium selenite as an alternative.
Why Should You Consider Yeast Free Dog Food?
Despite some nutritional benefits, there are downsides of feeding dog food that includes yeast.
Human foods that contain yeast dough are dangerous for dogs. The yeast could rise in your pet’s stomach after consumption, causing bloat. Bloat is a serious medical condition that can be fatal.
Yeast in dog food is generally a safe source of nutrients and protein. But some dogs may suffer from yeast allergies or intolerances. If your dog has adverse reactions to yeast, make sure to check any potential food for items that may contain this ingredient.
Yeast infections in dogs are not typically caused by yeast in the diet. If your dog is suffering from a yeast infection, choose low-starch or grain-free dog foods, and treat the condition with topical antifungal medications.
Although yeast is generally a safe component of canine diets, some pups may have an adverse reaction to this ingredient.
Eliminating yeast from your dog’s diet can help limit digestive upset.
Canidae All Life Stages Multi-Protein Formula Dog Food is an ideal formula suitable for most dogs with yeast intolerances.
The best yeast free dog foods use alternative sources of the nutrients commonly found in yeast. They also use probiotics based on different types of microorganisms to support gut health.
Talk to your veterinarian today to determine if your four-legged friend may benefit from a yeast-free diet.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?