Can Dogs Eat Pop Tarts?

Last Update:
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you buy after clicking on our links.
can dogs eat pop tarts

Maybe you also like to throw a little party with friends and serve some Pop Tarts. I sure do, even though they are not the healthiest food.

However, our dogs often seem just as excited about them and want at least a bite. We never let them, but a friend recently asked me: can dogs eat Pop Tarts?

So I’ve decided to explore the topic, and here’s what I found out.

Can Dogs Eat Pop Tarts?

No, dogs should not eat Pop Tarts. Pop Tarts contain many harmful ingredients for dogs and are best avoided.

Pop Tarts are high in various types of sugars, wheat flour, artificial flavorings, and coloring. These can easily trigger weight gain, obesity, diabetes, and related health issues. Some Pop Tarts contain chocolate, which is extremely toxic to dogs and can be fatal.

Are Pop Tarts Bad for Dogs?

Dogs may enjoy the sweet taste of Pop Tarts, but that doesn’t mean they’re safe for them to eat. Many human foods aren’t suitable for dogs because their bodies just can’t digest them well.

Pop Tarts have no nutritional value and can be pretty bad for your four-legged friend. Let’s look at the common ingredients and why they aren’t good for your dog.


Pop Tarts are made with enriched or simple wheat flour. They are harmful for any dog with gluten sensitivity because they might trigger an allergic reaction. The common symptoms of an allergic reaction to gluten include:

  • Stomach upset
  • Bloating
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Flatulence
  • Red and itchy skin or skin rashes

These symptoms may progress to:

  • Frequent sneezing
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Asthma
  • Seizure in serious cases

For those that aren’t allergic to gluten, too much flour still leads to weight gain, obesity and may contribute to diabetes and arthritis.

If you aren’t sure whether your canine is allergic to gluten, you should take them to a veterinarian. The vet can run tests and determine all sorts of allergies your pet may have.


Pop Tarts contain sugar in various forms: commercial sugar, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, or artificial sweeteners. For example, a single strawberry Pop Tart contains 0.56 oz of sugar.

Too much sugar causes many health problems down the line:

  • Weight gain and obesity
  • Insulin resistance and diabetes
  • Dental issues and tooth decay
  • Pancreatitis

Your dog should not eat too much sugar, as it is not a part of the dog’s diet. Be especially careful with xylitol.

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener which is extremely toxic to dogs and potentially fatal. Even small amounts can seriously harm a dog, so always check ingredients and avoid foods with xylitol.


Pop Tarts usually contain palm oil and soybean oil. Both of these are harmful to dogs, leading to weight gain and related health problems.

Furthermore, Pop Tarts contain TBHQ — tertiary butylhydroquinone — a food additive used to prolong shelf life and prevent the rancidity of products.

Research has shown that TBHQ comes with many health risks, causing tumors, vision impairment, and neurotoxic effects in animals.


Some Pop Tarts contain chocolate, which is extremely toxic to dogs. Chocolate has theobromine, a compound that is poisonous to dogs. Theobromine induces chocolate poisoning and causes vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and in some cases, death.

Theobromine content is highest in dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Still, the effects vary depending on the amount your dog ingests.

Artificial Flavors and Artificial Colors

Many Pop Tarts contain artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. Dogs can be allergic to these and could develop serious health problems, which are in some cases fatal.

So, are Pop Tarts bad for our furry friends? Yes, because they come with many health risks and little to no nutritional value.

chocolate pop tarts

Different Flavors of Pop Tarts

Pop Tarts come in many flavors, but not all of them are safe for dogs to eat. Let’s look at some commercial options and why they aren’t good for your dog.

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Pop Tarts?

No, dogs should not eat these Pop Tarts. By adding chocolate, we are only making them more harmful to our furry friends.

These are probably the most dangerous type for your dogs. In addition to all the sugar and flour, chocolate Pop Tart — as its name suggests — contains chocolate. Chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs, and even small amounts can be fatal.

Besides, chocolate in commercial products is often mixed with xylitol or even alcohol, both of which are highly poisonous to dogs.

If your dog ingested a small bite of a chocolate Pop Tart, they should be fine. However, if they eat more, they are at risk of chocolate toxicity. You should take them to a vet clinic immediately.

Can Dogs Eat Pop Tarts A&W Root Beer?

No, dogs should not eat these Pop Tarts either.

While A&W Root Beer Pop Tarts don’t contain actual root beer, they are filled with harmful ingredients. A single Pop Tart is packed with salt, sugar, oils, which are all bad for dogs.

It also contains caramel color and artificial colors Red 40 Lake and Yellow 6 Lake. Some dogs are allergic to these and can develop serious reactions upon ingesting them.

It’s best to avoid these Pop Tarts.

Can Dogs Eat Strawberry Pop Tarts?

No, Frosted Strawberry Pop Tarts are not safe for dogs. Raw strawberries, on the other hand, would be delicious to them.

One Frosted Strawberry Pop Tart probably won’t harm your dog, but too many can cause health issues. These Pop Tarts are exceptionally high in sugar, so do not give them to diabetic and overweight dogs or dogs with high blood pressure.

Additionally, they are especially not suitable for canines with allergies because they contain wheat and oils that could trigger allergic reactions.

Can Dogs Eat Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts?

No, don’t feed your dog Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts.

You should know that, despite their name, these Pop Tarts have no brown sugar. Instead, they are filled with regular sugar, corn syrup, molasses, dextrose, and high fructose corn syrup. These make it harmful for dogs, as they may develop obesity, diabetes, and arthritis.

Furthermore, they contain wheat, so avoid them if your dog is sensitive to gluten.

Can Dogs Eat Blueberry Pop Tarts?

No, Blueberry Pop Tarts are not recommended for dogs either. Again, raw blueberries alone would be great for your canine companion, but not the Pop Tarts.

They are very similar to Strawberry Pop Tarts and contain loads of sugar and artificial colors. These are harmful to dogs and should be avoided.

strawberry pop taarts

What Should You Do if Your Dog Ate Pop Tart?

If your dog ingested Pop Tarts, you need to figure out exactly how much they ate. If they ate a small bite, your furry companion should be ok. 

However, if your dog consumes many chocolate Pop Tarts, you should take them to a vet. If your dog ate other kinds of Pop Tarts, you should watch out for symptoms and call a vet if there are allergic reactions.

The main problem with Pop Tarts are potential allergic reactions and chocolate toxicity because they can be fatal.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity

Chocolate toxicity is a severe condition that occurs when a dog ingests too much chocolate. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst and urination
  • Restlessness
  • High heart rate
  • Muscle tremors
  • Heart failure
  • Seizures
  • Coma

If you notice the symptoms, take your dog to a vet clinic immediately. If you react quickly, the prognoses are generally good.

Alternatives to Pop Tarts

Your curious furry companion may still want to munch on Pop Tarts. You could offer them some of these instead:

  • Apples
  • Blueberries
  • Carrots
  • Peanut butter (always check for xylitol)

Many wonderful treats will make your pooch forget about the harmful Pop Tarts. You might be surprised how many human foods dogs can safely eat.

Crazy Good? Not for Dogs

Pet owners should not let their four-legged friends eat Pop Tarts. They are unsafe because of many harmful ingredients, some of which are downright toxic to dogs.

You can always make homemade treats for your pet — and return all the love your furry companion gives you, while they enjoy and remain healthy. Your pooch will especially appreciate the vegetables and fruits.

Remember — regardless of how sweet the processed food is, it is never worth the health of your dog.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.3 / 5. Vote count: 6

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Photo of author
As a dog breeder's daughter, I've always been surrounded by many dogs of many breeds. I've made it my job to learn about our furry best friends and share my findings with other conscious dog owners. My Bichon is called Piper by the way :)

Save 30% on your next dog food order!

We have partnered with to offer the best deal on high-quality dog food to our readers. If you click on the button below, we will take you to their exclusive discount page.